Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cutting Edge

I have a new favorite ruler! 

Sullivans recently came out with "cutting edge rulers", designed by Pat Sloan (one fun quilter, let me tell you!).  I was intrigued from the moment I saw them, so of course I had to try one.  I got this one:  The Cutting EDGE Frosted Ruler-6-1/2X12-1/2.

I've been using it for a couple of months now, and I do indeed love it.  It has a 650 grit Diamond Cabide edge that purports to sharpen your rotary cutter blade as you use it, and by golly, I believe it's working!  I've got a regular blade in my cutter right now, and I've been using it -- daily -- since I bought this ruler and it's still cutting like a new blade.  Now *that's* something to brag about!

Do I think these rulers will prevent me from ever having to buy new blades?  Of course not.  But I'm happy to extend the lives of the ones I do buy -- like my mama always said, "a penny saved is a penny earned".

Sullivans has a complete line of "The Edge" rotary cutting tools in addition to the rulers:  cutters, blades and mats.  My next "test" will probably be a mat; I'm in the market for a new one.  Next time you're in the market for a new quilting or scrapbooking ruler, give one of these a try.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: